Plain Jane has a what?!?!?

After 3 years of infertility, now learning how to be a mom.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Baby has arrived.

It's a BOY!!!!!!!! Joseph Thomas made his entrance into the world after 11 hours of labor and 1 1/2 hours of pushing on Saturday, March 11 at 3:07 am. He weighed in at 8 lbs 15 oz and 22" long.

We are all doing well and adjusting to life with him. The whole experience was absoultely amazing. I can't believe my body is capable of such things.

So here's the more expanded version of the events:
As you all know, we had a regular appt on Friday (March 10) to see how things were going. At the appt, doc said I was 80% effaced and 3cm dilated. So progress, but still no regular contractions. Baby was doing well on the monitor and the last step of the appt was the u/s. The u/s was to determine if there was enough amniotic fluid to keep him sustained until they could schedule an induction. There was only a little bit of amniotic fluid left so doctor said let's induce you today. It was a bit of a shock. I know we were overdue and everything, it was just a shock.

So we walked over to the hospital and got into a room by 4:30 pm. The nurses struggled a bit to find a vein in my arm. I really didn't want a hand vein as they can be a bit painful, so they worked on it for about a half hour and they found one. Since it took so long to find a vein, the pitocin wasn't started until 6:30 pm. I had been mildly contracting even without the pitocin because the doc stripped my membranes again. Once the pitocin started, it regulated the contractions and definitely made them stronger right away. They also broke my water bag.

I requested the epidural at about 8 pm. I was not completely decided about pain meds before I went in. I figured I'd play it by ear. Well, the pitocin made the decision for me and I wanted the epidural. My epidural was phenomenal and I would definitely have another. The relief was instantaneous and wonderful. I also made the decision that if I was going to have an epidural, I was not going to feel even a moment of pain. At about 12 am I started feeling little twinges, I immediately had the anesthesiologist paged and he was in a few moments later to give another dose of meds. That last dose must've been an extra big dose because when the doc wanted me to turn over onto my other side, I couldn't even move my legs. It was hilarious. The doc had just checked me and I was at 8cm. Without the epidural, I have a feeling I wouldn't have been as amused with that situation.

I was completely dilated and effaced by 1:30 am. It was time to start to push. I have to admit, I was not looking forward to the pushing part. I really didn't know if I would be able to do it. Well, the constipation I'd been battling in the weeks before his birth was definitely preparation. It really is like taking the biggest poop of your life.

And now, without further ado, I present to you Joseph Thomas


Post a Comment

<< Home